Garage List
2015 F33 435i  [0.00]
2015 F82 M4  [0.00]
2011 F10 535i  [0.00]
2010 BMW E90 LCI 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Dear Bimmerpost members

Below are some pictures and highlights from a recent 4000km road trip I completed here in China. The trip went from the sea-side city of Qingdao in the east, to the most populous city in western China, mountainous Chongqing. It is also the two cities I have come to love the most while living in mainland China as a foreigner.

The trip

So the trip went from Qingdao to Chongqing. In China Qingdao is famous for it's Tsingtao beer and Chongqing is famous for its beautiful people, spicy food and for being the most populous municipality in China (29 million with 16 inside the city core). The driving distance is similar to driving from Seattle, Washington to Los Angeles, California, or from Copenhagen, Denmark to Rome, Italy or from Vienna, Austria to Moscow, Russia. Far enough that the sunset and sunrise was delayed by more than one hour (but the time zone is the same all over China).

Any questions about driving or living in China as a foreigner are more than welcome.

Video clips and pictures from the trip

A special video made during my drive back to Shandong. It was captured by my dashboard cam and then speeded up 64 times so that the entire 22hr trip can be watched in a few minutes. The video has no sound, so feel free to add some music on your own.

The car - an Alpina Z4?

With all of the N54-equipped cars, including the 1-series M coupes as well as the M3 convertibles sold out, a ~400hp Alpina Z4 roadster with improved chassis and driving dynamics would arguably have been the most fun BMW this side of M6 convertible money currently on sale. At least if a convertible is more fun than a coupe, then I think the Z4 is the lightest and most beautiful option within the range to start with.

In a straight line an Alpina Z4 would keep up with the newest 991 convertible, look better in the process, and keep you more comfortable as well. But more importantly, because in a Z4 the seating position is so much closer to the rear wheels, once it got into a powerslide, almost nothing with 4 wheels would feel more wonderful. In a real roadster, all the feel of what the front end is doing is given away, just so that you can enjoy the rear wheels sliding that much more.

But then there is a problem. Because the Alpina Z4 roadster was never created or offered for sale. Who knows what a wonderful car it could have been?

That is why I made my own. And so far I have been driving it for one year in China. Or at least the essential ingredients are similar. Ie the installation of more power and non-RFTs. My conclusion is that I can highly recommend anyone to try something similar and use it both with DSC off, and for those long road trips.

Car: 2009 E89 sDrive35i
Engine: N54 modified with ESS tune (350hp / 390hp)
Transmission: 7 speed DCT
Suspension: Standard (non-adaptive)
Wheels: Modified 18" 8J/8,5J with non-RFTs 225/255
Exterior: Orion Silver Metallic
Interior: Extended leather (beige/wood)

I have had the ESS flash tune installed for about 1 year / 25,000kms. I use it mainly because it improves the responsiveness of the engine. This is recommended for power sliding and sporty driving as the car reacts more instantly to your right foot. Of course it also takes away some comfort, like when driving in very slow-moving traffic, but without an M button, there is no way to have both at the same time. The driving dynamics selector does not feel like it has the same effect on the engine parameters which alter responsiveness. It is more in the business of making what was 10% throttle before into 50% now.

I also wanted the 35is / 1 series M coupe torque but in a DCT car with normal suspension and normal body kit. This is because I prefer not seeing any M badges on something which belongs to a different category. In fact, it should have had some more Z badges instead, like on the rev counter. It should have boosted its own personality of fun and style instead of motorsport, but that is a separate discussion. I also like the classy and clean look of the standard 35i bumpers on silver colors.

Next, while the Chinese roads require softer suspension and higher ground clearance, I would probably recommend the standard non-adaptive suspension with the stiffer M-sport option in Europe and the US. The important part however is the tires. They have to be non-RFTs, as they would also have been on an Alpina or M car. This latest generation Z4 is still stiffer than a normal 1/3/5-series, and it just becomes too harsh and noisy with the OEM RFTs on almost any roads. The adaptive suspension does not seem to solve that problem in its current generation, and is not available with DSC off in a Z4 anyway. That is why I would go for the standard M sport suspension on non-RFTs in most places, except China.

And then you have it, with some carefully selected options and mods, this car might just have been the best car BMW-Alpina never offered for sale.
hey guys
Qingdao is my hometown
But I am in JiNing now,
I have a E90 335i N54+6AT and a 2010 Z4 35i~
happyanim:
Attached Images

Last edited by diddlkiss; 06-08-2013 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0