View Single Post
      04-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #97
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
That's kind of my point -- I don't think anyone buying a $50-55K car thinks of it as an entry level model.
That may very well be true, but my point is that I'll bet BMW figures that engine sound is not a high priority for most (not all, no, but most) of the folks who do not opt for the highest performance engine offered for a given car. Even so, they are taking measures to address the sound and smoothness.

Quote:
And as you said, I highly doubt the price will go down, so that will not help.
I actually think that there is a decent chance (maybe 50/50) it will come down given the model name change. If they had kept the 30i name I would have said "no way" for sure.

I understand the points you (and otherts) are making - I too favor a naturally aspirated motor. But I am willing to accept that the most likely scenario here is that BMW sales won't be hurt by the move to an all turbocharged lineup at all. In fact, I firmly believe they will increase. I too will be looking elsewhere when it comes time to replace my M3, but as you say in your other post just above, the number of options is dwindling fast. It is not unlikely that, in the not-so-distant future, all but the most expensive sports cars will have forced induction (or be some sort of hybrids, or both).
Appreciate 0