07-16-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Thanks for the info on your tire setup. I will look into those tire widths in the future. I am using 235 and 265 wide tires on the OEM wheels right now.
I've often thought about a 275 rear myself. 235/35/19 and 273/30/19 are exactly the same diameter, whereas 265/30/19 is slightly smaller than 235/35/19. Having a smaller diameter rear tire seems odd to me, especially when the rear wheel on the M3 uses a bigger diameter tire.

The only reason I would hesitate is because the 40 mm disparity front to rear might exacerbate understeer (the M3 has a 20 mm disparity stock). And I'd be afraid of rubbing (though there is a little room yet even with the 265 PSS).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Hujan, one concern I would have with the temp thermostat is increased carbon buildup on the intake valves from the lower oil temps. There is a thread going on in the other subforum about this. My sense is that if the stock cooling can't keep the oil from going to 250F to 300F then a lower temp thermostat is just slightly delaying the inevitable, and aftermarket oil cooler etc are needed.
Interesting about the carbon buildup. I'll have to check that thread out. I, too, wondered if it would only delay the inevitable, but my understanding is that even when the temps cross a certain threshold and the thermostat "opens," it still blocks a fraction of the flow. In other words, it goes from allowing 10% to flow through the oil cooler to, say, 80% when the temps reach the specified set point.

Speaking of carbon buildup, as the Z approaches 40k miles, I probably need to address what's undoubtedly been built up. Do you have any recommendations for a place to do a good walnut blast in San Diego?
Appreciate 0