04-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
habib86
Private First Class
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: alpine e89 23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
BMW checks are 3 mm (0.12") out off round. They mount the wheel in a machine and if they measure more then 3 mm out off round they will tell you that you have gone thru a pothole and will not replace your rim.

Visualize a dial indicator measuring the rim of your wheel as it turns and the dial cannot deflect more then 0.12" (only the machine BMW uses has this feature build right in).

In my opinion BMW is pulling the wool over our eyes. Who knows what the out of roundness was on the wheel when you took delivery. Why only (most of the time anyway) only rear wheels fail? If we have gone thru a pothole or potholes why are the front wheels okay?

My advise, check your wheels often (after a long drive and at least every 3 months). If you see a crack (hairline crack) go back to BMW as soon as you can. Also keep an eye on your air pressure. On my former Z4 I checked air pressure every monday. Make sure you clean your wheel well to check for cracks. IMHO there is something wrong with the design of this 296 wheel, the RFT and 2.5 degree negative camber don't make the situation any better.

Good luck,

Rolf Dieter
im at the dealer today since 9am till 2pm...thy took some pics and started to say that thy will send the pics to the company and then thy will see what happen...if thy dont ill have to buy a new set of rims not from bmw but from hamann

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
Habib86, did you took pictures of the cracks?
nop...sorry i was soo pissed when i saw them that i went directly to the dealer and at the dealer there was 4 cracks on the right rim not 2 and the left only 1 crack...ppl check ur 296 rims every week to see if its cracked...it seams that it happen to aloot of ppl not some
Appreciate 0