View Single Post
      07-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #19
lcheong
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black Sapphire 30i Z4, Bl

I really think you should try the "master reset" mechanism with the battery cables that other people have suggested. It may or may not fix this problem, but it should definitely NOT hurt anything and can only help.

I haven't had this issue with the HVAC, but I have had other strange electrical issues. Specifically:

1. My radio sometimes turns on fine, but NO audio comes out. Once this happens, it stays this way until I shut off the engine for at least 30 minutes. Then, when I restart it it usually starts working again.

2. I often got the "TPM Inactive" warning popping up about 30 minutes into a drive. First few times it freaked me out, but after checking my tire pressure each time and seeing that it's normal, I now ignore these warnings. Again, these errors often go away after letting the car sit at least 30 minutes or more. It doesn't ALWAYS go away, but often it does.

I lived with both these issues for many, many months. Two weeks ago, I finally did the "master reset", and so far, I have not had these issues. AND I'm trying to make it the worst-case condition on the radio problem, which is keep the radio turned on when I shut the engine off -- in the past, that almost always guaranteed to cause the no-audio problem at least 30% of the time. So far, flawless.

The master reset procedure is easy and safe. Simply disconnect both positive and negative cables from the battery (in the trunk). Then, using a long wrench or some other metallic object, touch both cables to each other for a few seconds. Then, let the car sit with the cables still disconnected from the battery for at least 30 minutes. Finally, re-connect the cables to the battery. You'll only have to reset your clock. Everything else should be as you left it (radio stations, seat settings, etc.).

I asked my dealer service guy about the master reset, and he knew about it well, but he said that they do NOT perform this master reset for any of the cars unless they have to (for specific issues). And their procedures did not have them doing it on my car. I told him to not sweat it and I'll do it myself, which I did once I got the car back. He also told me to keep the cables disconnected for at least 30 minutes rather than just 10-15 minutes like others may have recommended.

So anyway, give it a try. I'm curious if this fixes your issue.
Appreciate 0