View Single Post
      10-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

Accidentally driving with part of air intake off

So, lately, I've been getting random CELs here and there, always during the warmup period -- never when the car is fully warmed up. I have been ignoring them, and nothing consequential has yet occurred (I just turn off the car, turn it back on, and the light is gone).

Today, when I started my car (2012 E89 35is), after a few minutes of not moving (was checking my phone), the car threw a low oil error message -- first time ever I've witnessed that message. The car was admittedly on a ~7% slope, so I thought perhaps that's whats causing the error. I decided to start driving to see if the message would disappear after I hit even ground, but it did persist. So I turn off the car in the middle of the street, open the hood to see if I could spot some wet oil as an indication of a leak, but couldn't find any. However, while I was examining under the hood with my phone's flashlight on, to my utter disbelief, I discovered that the connection from the airbox to the radiator was missing (check attached pics).

The only people who have had access to my car are the ones at a body shop that replaced my bumper and headlight after a fender-bender. I have not taken my car to a mechanic since I purchased it ~2 months ago, and I remember when taking a look under the hood prior to purchasing it that nothing was amiss. So my 2 questions are 1) What is the likely damaged that the car has incurred given what is absent (and what is it exactly that's missing?). I have put roughly 1500 miles since vising the body shop, and 2) Is it plausible that the body shop decided to remove those parts to be able to remove the bumper and the headlight ? or could they have done so without having to take the absent pieces apart ? (just trying to establish culpability here, even though it couldn't have been any other party's fault since no one has gone under the hood except them since my purchasing of the car).

Also, in the meanwhile, will it be detrimental to the car if I drive it around ?

Thanks a lot for reading, and I appreciate your help here.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0