View Single Post
      05-24-2011, 07:27 PM   #25
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

ChuckB, an old Soldier thanks you very much. I am reasonably certain that the Euro switch will work in a US car. Also glad to know the trim piece is not difficult to remove from the dash. In the E9X cars it is very easy to activate the rear fogs by simply taking the switch apart and breaking off a couple tabs from the inside of the black button for the rear fogs. This allows the button to be pushed in against the circuit board to turn on the rear fog lights. If there is someone out there who is brave enough to take their US switch apart we may be able to use our rear fogs without buying the new switch. Scheidmann will ship to the US for $20. You are correct that the switch costs about $95 depending on the exchange rate on the day you place your order. If no one is willing to take their switch apart, I am not brave enough to do it, then I will place my order in a week or so. It is curious that the E89 Z4 is one of the few BMWs that does not come with front fog lights even in Europe. Do you have any idea what the bottom button on the switch is used for or is it simply a blank for looks to make the switch more symmetrical? Thanks again for the great write up and pictures. This is very helpful. I can't imagine that the car needs to be coded after installing the Euro switch. In the E9X cars it is a simple plug and play. I have done it 3 times now with no issues on 3 different cars.

I have contacted Scheidmann to see if they will offer a reduced cost on a group order for the Euro switch. Let me know if you are interested. I am willing to have them all shipped to me and then I can mail them out to each one. This should reduce the overall cost of each switch. I'll let you know what I hear and if it worth doing it this way. They may not be able to reduce the actual cost of the switch so the difference in shipping alone may not be worth the effort.

Update: They can't give me a price until they know how many switches I will order. I will wait a week or so and see if anyone else is interested. If not, I'll order one for myself and see if it works.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)

Last edited by rmorin49; 05-25-2011 at 05:52 AM..
Appreciate 0