View Single Post
      09-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #13
SANguru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i8, X5 50,M550i,Tesla, MP4-12c

11 track days in the F430 so far and it's last of the good ones... It's a 6 speed manual. So far I've really enjoy the DCT in my 35is and it will be seeing some track time 1st week of October at Infineon. There is nothing like click-clacking through the gears and executing the perfect heel/toe on the track. Besides, my hands are on the steering wheel because I get all my downshifts done before the turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by x97Melbourne View Post
It's a matter of personal preference of course. However, I don't think your example holds any water. Ferraris are meant to be raced and there is a definite racing advantage to an automatic/DCT. F1 Style racing as adopted the paddle shifting style for pure speed and a speed as well as safety advantage. It's faster, and, as you say, allow you to keep your hands on the wheel.

I would go out on a limb and say that most Z4 owners (even on an enthusiast forum like this) never track their cars. In fact, the same goes for most Ferrari owners. Everyone orders what ever car/transmission they desire....but to say an manual is antiquated is kind of out-there for me. I like the DCT but would never order it....I would equate the DCT to a fast roller coaster. It's fast as hell but there's no control.... DCT means you are riding, not driving. Still a cool/fast car, but certainly doesn't appeal to a lot of weekend on-ramp racers!

Whatever you chose, enjoy your Z4....awesome car either way. May be my next car!!

Last edited by SANguru; 09-24-2011 at 07:13 PM..
Appreciate 0