09-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
albertoxx
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: Alpina Roadster S 3.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrumcap View Post
Nice I wonder what is under the hood. Would love to see an M version of this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa34 View Post
I didn't know you worked for BMW...I think it could be a real M
As BMW CEO said no ///M version of the Z4 are planned at the moment...

Sadly, BMW has confirmed that it has canceled the Z4 M.
The automaker said the economic downturn and a lack of customer interest in the model ruled out going forward with an M version of the Z4.
But it seems odd to cite the crisis hitting automotive sales as a reason for killing the model when the company is also going forward with the X5 M and the X6 M and a whole host of new products that are large, expensive and not very economical on fuel costs.
So maybe the second reason cited was a larger factor than they are letting on, the lack of customer demand. Hard to imagine that of all the new upcoming BMW models, including the 5-series GT, that the Z4 would be the one where customer interest in an M version hasn't been piqued enough.
A BMW spokesperson was quoted by iMotor.co.uk as saying,"Given the current economic crisis there is no business case for a full-on M version of the Z4." The spokesperson also admitted that the X5 M and X6 M were given the go-ahead before the collapse in sales which, in many cases, have hit premium brands just as hard as the volume automakers.
The consolation prize will be an M Sport package for the Z4, like the one for the 135i. That would include a few M-badges tucked here and there but mainly on the steering wheel, a more tightly tuned suspension, a body kit and bigger alloy wheels. Couple all that with the BMW's 3.0 liter, twin-turbo with 306 hp and it should pack enough of a punch. What else do you want?