02-07-2010, 08:32 AM   #8
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
What I refer to as the ext'd warranty is the "BMW Maintenance Program Upgrade" For new vehicles, as stated from the BMW website "This upgrade option, when purchased, extends your standard BMW Maintenance Program period by an additional 2 years/50,000 miles, providing a total maintenance program period of 6 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. This upgrade option also extends the standard BMW Roadside Assistance Program benefit period by an additional 2 years/unlimited mileage for a total of 6 years/unlimited mileage. " $2100 for MY 2010. My CA told me to expect a 5-10% increase for MY 2011. Considering the normal 25-30K mile bradke job alone it is well worth the cost IMHO.
This is not an extended warranty it is as you state extended maintenance. It will not cover such items as a faulty NAV unit or a failed power window motor. It simply pays to "maintain" your car and will pay for routine maintenance and scheduled items such as oil changes, other fluid changes, brake pads/rotors, etc.

I am more concerned with covering unscheduled repairs as these can be very expensive as opposed to the scheduled maintenance as these are known and can be predicted. An extended warranty is basically an insurance policy, if you use it, it pays for itself, if you don't it cost you money but protects you against unforseen losses and does provide some peace of mind. The key is buying a policy from a reputable vendor. I have been burned twice, once in Texas on a third party policy purchased from a Mitsubishi dealer and again in Maryland on a policy sold by Warranty Gold. I will only buy a policy that is sponsored by the manufacturer or AAA. I have had good experience with policies sold by AAA on a 740iL and a 535. Both did pay for themselves over the life of the policy.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0