Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
I'm actually contemplating selling my 05 E46 ZCP...
I was contemplating the same thing with my 2005 E46 M3 Vert but knowing I could only get 13k to 20K for it I have ultimately decided to just keep it. It is paid off and insurance is only $250 for the year. No mechanical issues whatsoever as well because it sits in a garage with a trickle charger. I think your specific M3 will ultimately appreciate overtime because it is an 2005 Coupe with Competition package. If you do not have to sell it then I would keep it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWGroceryGetter View Post
I'm getting the itch again, and I can't stop scratching it! I've been searching for a low mileage manual E46 M3, preferably with comp package. EAG seems to have the best selection, though you are paying a premium, which I don't necessarily want to. But, if I'm getting a quality product back for what I'm paying, I guess you have to pay to play. I understand this is a niche market, but paying $15-18k more than KBB value.....

Anyways...how amazing is the E46 M3 to drive? I've only driven the SMG version, as I don't see the manual versions too often here in Colorado. I'll be honest, SMG sucks. But I could see the potential of the M3 if it was a manual. The feeling I had when I drove it, was that it was a more raw performance vehicle, moreso than my bloated rocket ship of an F80 .

If any of you kind ladies and gentleman could post some of your personal feedback and experiences with your E46 M3, I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks!
To the OP I have a 2005 E46 M3 Vert SMG and just purchased a 2016 535i (which I will refer to later). I know you are not looking for a Vert SMG but the engine is essentially what makes the E46 special to me. My M3 already has 102,000 miles and it still puts a smile on my face when I take it out. No issues as of yet with the SMG and catalytic converter which is what my mechanic keeps telling me everyone has had to get replaced at one point. The maintenance has not been expensive at all but then again I always got the car serviced when needed and it has been garaged its whole life. Major issues I encountered was rear bushings, a radiator leak and minor oil gasket leak.

Driving the 2016 535i I hardly find time to drive the E46 because the technology and features in the 535i are just too good. I always thought I would need to go back to the E46 M3 to feel that raw power but in all honesty I don't. If you already have an F80 M3 then I don't think you need to add the older E46 to the stable especially when it is so hard to find one in mint condition without paying a premium. The only time I could imagine you using the E46 is for the track or to take around town once a month. It is just not as comfortable and modern as the new F80 M3 is. *I got a change to autocross and take around town the F80 M3 and M4 at a BMW event last year called UDE. Loved it but had to get a more practical sedan for daily driving and for family.*

However, if you plan to make it a project car then I completely understand and hope you do find an E46 that you can add to the stable. I just do not think you would drive it as often especially with the newer and better one already in your garage. Good luck!

Last edited by Takumi587; 06-15-2016 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Experience driving with the new M3/M4s.
Appreciate 0