12-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #19
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
They likely didn't want to make this change in the middle of the same model life cycle.
It' just so plain stupid... The LCI was the perfect occasion to add another model to the growing M Performance range, thus boosting the Z4's image and sales and going one step towards all those customers who are longing for a Z4M. It's retarded and it's going to be hard justifying the is label (and its price tag) when it's already outdated! Plus Scott26 confirmed we would get an M Perf version with the LCI...

So unless it's a prank preceding a happy surprise at the Geneva show, I can only think of one reason for such an inconsistent decision: BMW considered that the 35is just wasn't good enough to deserve the M Performance label and a Z4 M35i would likely have garnered too many negative reviews and potentially spoilt the image of the whole M Performance growing range... Maybe the tests showed that the 35is was being outperformed/ridiculed by the cheaper M135i hatch, therefore making a Z4 M35i look like a poor yet overpriced vehicle?! So at the last second they decided to pull out, not make the move and shamefully stick to the old lower-key is label so as to not attract too much spotlight and deceived high expectations.

What an embarrassing marketing strategy though.

Last edited by advantage20; 12-18-2012 at 02:20 AM..
Appreciate 0