InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
FYI, I just bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GP-Thunder-P...ors_Car_Truck_

After some looking around, this was a great price for GP Thunder Cree bulbs. 30W was also the brightest I came across - most were 7.5W or less. Note they are amber. I'm pretty sure white turn signal bulbs are illegal.

I did a test uninstall of the OEM bulbs. Easy. Just use a pair of pliers on the plastic tab to pull the bulb aseembly out. The tab isn't quite long enough to really get a good grip on with your fingers.
Yep, looks like any non-amber turn signal lights are illegal in the US:

Quote:
We contrast this with clear replacement lenses and lamps for turn signal and parking lamps (and front side marker lamps, as well as front clearance and identification lamps on wider vehicles). The light from these lamps must be amber (also when amber is chosen over red for the rear turn signals). The amber light from these lamps furnished as original equipment is produced by either a white bulb and amber lens, or by an amber bulb and a white lens. The latter is permissible because amber bulbs meeting J578's color specification for amber are available. Lamps incorporating white lenses and amber bulbs are being certified as conforming to Standard No. 108. Thus, a clear lens for these specific lamps is permissible as original equipment, provided that the lamp with an amber bulb produces light meeting J578's amber color specification. It follows that replacement lenses or lamps for original equipment lamps with amber bulbs may also be clear, and that it is not a violation of Federal law to manufacture and sell them, provided that they comply in every way with Standard No 108.
http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/21575.ztv.html

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0