09-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #133
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc-e89 View Post
be interested to hear how the e89 compares to the e46 m3! :-)
Here's a comparison of the two engine's power curves side by side. The difference is between a naturally aspirated (NA) engine (no forced air induction) vs a forced air induction engine with twin turbos. Turbos engines make huge amounts of torque with little effort.

1st the e46 M3 and 2nd the e89 Z4 35i. I put the red boxes on the charts around the torque lines. IMHO, for street driving up to 120 mph+, torque is far more important than horsepower. Torque is that axle twisting, seat of the pants feeling you get when you take off from a stop light. Horsepower really comes into play around 5,000 rpm and above.

You will note the M3's engine builds torque slowly off the line and then peaks around 4,500. This engine would depend higher rpm's and horsepower even for everyday driving - just like it's younger brother with it's very peaky v8. You'll have you to keep you foot in the go peddle most of the time to get maximum enjoyment. Note reaches max horsepower just before 8,000!

The Z4 35i twin turbo engine on the other hand, has a nice flat torque profile (2nd chart red box). It reaches max torque just above idle and stays there until almost 5,000. This engine is a street engine that will take you to 120 mph+ in a hurry and then reaches maximum horsepower at 6,000 to 6,500 rpm.

So in comparison, the e46 M3 may have slight better track suspension (harder springs, etc.), but would not a really great overall daily driver + high performance car like the Z4 35i / 35is. I still want to get my hands on a ///M Coupe someday.
Attached Images

"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 09-16-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0