View Single Post
      04-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
JR956678
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddapah View Post
I tried using connect version part# 84212351308 (no coding changes). There is no sound. Parts manager told me media version is likely to be released in Jan this year. So far it is not released in USA. It is available in Australia. I was wondering if it worth getting it from there without knowing for sure whether it works or not.
That symptom would fit the xxx308 with a CIC module - that's exactly what users on the Apple forum reported unless they coded the CIC to accept a digital audio input.

When Apple used the 30 pin connector they had a lot more circuits to use but when they went to the small Lightning connector they gave up a lot of circuits and went to a digital audio output only and that's part of the root cause of the problem.

I think it could be risky to get the Media snap-in unless it would be KNOWN to work. The Apple forum made mention of a German snap-in (xxx369) that was released and then recalled because it didn't work and it would be a shame to order something from outside the country, have it not work and then try to get a refund. Dealers in the US seem to be willing to accept a return if the snap-in doesn't work with your car because I think that happens - a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
I tried whichever one came out last fall (?) for my 2012 Z4 and it didn't work right. I think I posted my experience in another thread on this forum.

The other issue with it is that you can't have any sort if case for the phone. Pain to take the phone out.
I believe the xxx308 was out last fall; it was listed on Shop BMW when I got my X3 in November and I ordered from that website. But the X3 is a 2014 with an NBT module so the xxx308 is the right snap-in for that module and it worked. The same xxx308 snap-in works on the 2014 Z4 but with so many different snap-in models and so many different entertainment modules, confusion seems to reign supreme.

And you are right - if you want to use the snap-in you can't have a case on the iPhone - a screen protector seems OK but there's just no extra room for a case. Probably out of necessity - there are so many different cases of different sizes I don't know how you could make a one-size-fits-all snap-in.
Appreciate 0