06-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #158
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
I am also considering other brands as well. My z4 is less than one year old and have more problems than all of my other cars combine. It had the injectors and left tail light replaced the same week i bought the car. Two months later the headlight leveler failed. It is currently at the dealership for a new engine, fuel pump, left tail light (again), left mirror (makes a weird noise when folding), right mirror (discolored), and a few other minor problems. The car doesn't handle as well as my previous z4mc and cost more than my previous z4mc. It is a huge mistake that I didn't test drive the car when I was buying it.

I was looking forward to the 4 series until the recent pics. It's not even close to the hype that they teased us with. I am considering the new stingray and cayman s next year.
I agree as well! I forgot to mention that I was going to order the upcoming 435i, until I realized it has the N55 motor which delivers power poorly compared to the N54, and costs significantly more than the 2007 335i coupe I bought in 2006 (for a worse motor too!) This was another major contributing factor to me buying the Z4. I am buying the Z4 for the engine, the last of its breed. The only thing that has measurably improved in the last 5+ years is the Navi and iDrive system. This is not the area I want my favorite German car company focusing their improvments... I want even further improvements to the already incredible driveability. This is what Ferrari always has done and continues to do, and it's why they have their reputation for greatness. BMW was doing the same thing at a lower price point for us! I loved BMW for that in the past!

I really detest BMW's new direction now... makes me sad, it seems the accountants run the company now. I feel my older BMWs felt better put together with better parts than newer ones - even in the little details. My 2001 M5 had better latches, handles, and an overall more solid quality feel than the newer 2006 M5, the newest M5 continues this trend (including the associated price hike). The trend of flat to downward direction in quality and upward prices continues... Now for the cost of my loaded 2001 M5 new (69,xxx) I can't even buy a fully loaded z4 35is! I know time has passed, but the changes are too much compared to other brands, and it's crazy! BMW has gone soft and expensive like the old mercedes brand that I used to make fun of, and now Mercedes is finally becoming more truly performance oriented, and pushing the envelope that BMW used to be pushing.

BMW was in its prime when they designed cars like the E36 M3 and the E39 M5... have the old decision makers that made BMW what it is (was) all been replaced?

Last edited by Tom (Atl); 06-23-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 0