View Single Post
      05-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #34
WhoU4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 Z4 3.0i

Well headed over to my local dealer today and drove both the sDrive35i and an sDrive30i. The 35 had the 7 speed DSG with the paddle shifters, and the 30 had a six speed manual. This was my first experience with paddle shifters and to be honest I could see where they could be fun, but not as much as a manual 6.

The engine and the transmission on the sDrive35i (Deep Sea Blue Metallic/Ivory White Leather) were smooth and had plenty of power shifting up as you took off. When you want the transmission to shift down as you approach and drive through the twisties you have to snap down on the paddles to find the gear and torque you’re looking for.

The sDrive30i (Black Sapphire Metallic/Coral Red Kansas Leather) also had good power, with a fun and predictable manual 6 transmission.
The sport seats in the 35 were much more comfortable than the 8 way power seats that were in the 30.

After I returned with the 35 for a quick 10 minute drive I noticed that the 30 was back, the person testing the 30 and I traded keys got permission and went for another drive. We went for a 30 minute trip, stopped took some pictures (below).

After we returned we traded notes and took another good look at the cars. I have a 05’, the other guy has a 03’, we both agree that 1st of all they were both fun to drive. Second, both cars have a nice soft ride but lose some feel in the corners. Sport mode in both cars didn’t seem to make that much of a difference. Also both cars could benefit from a Strut Brace.
Finally, a nice car with a decent ride… but I’m keeping my 05’ for the time being.
Attached Images

OEM Strut Brace / UUC SSK / Zeck CDV / Clutch Stop / ZHP Shift Knob / Stubby Ant / Top Covers / Dinan K&N / M Seats / SP / PP

Last edited by WhoU4; 05-10-2009 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: Color Edit
Appreciate 0