04-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #84
rocco
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 AW ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
This engine makes a lot of sense for the lower price range where these cars will be situated. I mean, people that get the N52 engine over the N54/55 are the people who are not pushing their cars as much (IMO and I know there will be exceptions). These people drive their cars daily and probably never go above 3K rpm.
3,000 RPM is crossed going between stop-signs on a city block. I do know what you're saying. Majority of Bimmer drivers are not pushing their cars ... but I don't think that applies to the majority of owners posting on bmw forums.

It's a little presumptuous to say that the N52, which can propel the e9X from 0-60 in 6.1 seconds, is somehow for drivers who aren't enthusiasts, while no one would ever make that judgment about the M54 in the E46, which also clocks in with an official 0-60 time of 6.1. That's fast enough for fun and spirited driving and the fact there is a faster option today is irrelevant.

I'd take 230 HP from an NA 6 over 240 or 245 FI 4 ... heat-sink during humid summers in tri-state area (especially w/ AC) is like to be extremely noticeable. The torque numbers are interesting, however...wonder if it'll compensate.