07-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #42
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Does that mean, once you let it go below 1/4, even though afterward you tried to keep it above 1/4, the noise was present? So the key is to never let it go below 1/4, not even once?
The best I can do is give you a story and some antidotal advice.

I've driven cars with electric fuel pumps since the 1980's and they all had 70,000 to 100,000 miles of care free driving as a rule, not the exception.

Recently one of my cars had relatively low miles and the in-tank fuel pump failed. I replaced it myself and everything looked fine. My guess is that even though I was pretty good about keeping the tank above 1/4, sometimes I'd get lazy and let it dip to around an 1/8. There is a short incline on the last leg of my daily commute, so my guess is that on repeated commutes with low fuel going up that incline cause the fuel pump to starve for a few seconds. Maybe it wouldn't have failed if my entire commute had been complete flat.

For some reason, BMW's fuel pumps on one or two of their engines seem to be more sensitive than other cars I driven. Rule of thumb when it get's down around a 1/4 tank fill it up. On the other hand, you have to live your life and drive your car according to conditions. Don't kill yourself if you can't make that happen. That's what the warranty's for.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-13-2010 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0