View Single Post
      11-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #34
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I find it interesting that every once in a while I run across a person that thinks just because he/she is able to think cognitively, they must form opinion, and those opinions are naturally correct because they have the ability to form an opinion, because. . . it goes on and on. . . otherwise known as circular reasoning.

This results from their inability to understand alternative viewpoints, or more to the point, they cannot understand that equally intelligent people, given similar values, inputs, etc., can arrive at equally valid but different conclusions. Other people readily grasp this concept and live with it because they know that human knowledge and individual understanding is limited (i.e., not universal) and there are often perfectly valid but different ways to solve the same problem. People that use circular reasoning are limited because they can’t escape their own patterns of circular reasoning and self justified belief their intellect is superior, because. . . (see paragraph, above).

All of that is to say this: You need to come to grip with the idea it’s perfectly Ok for two different people to completely disagree about the same thing that is subjective, and both be 100 percent correct in accordance with their own subjective experiences, knowledge, values, etc. So if someone says “I think a Porsche 911 interior is superior to a Z4” or vice versa “I think a Z4 interior is superior to a Porsche 911” they may both be 100 percent correct.

It’s disingenuous of you to backhandedly insult our intelligence by saying, “Of course I expect E89 owners to hold fast on their purchase decisions(especially on a BMW board ).” That comment precludes the possibility that a person of equal or greater intelligence than yourself may have looked at both cars, and based on their well reasoned evaluation arrived at a different but equally valid conclusion than you. What you have is typically called a superior attitude, which FYI, doesn’t indicate a superior intellect. Frankly it’s insulting, boring and tiresome.

IMO you’re upset with yourself because for whatever reason don‘t own a Porsche and you’re taunting e89 owners because they’re happy with their choice. You need to grow up and quit making other people’s lives miserable.
I am upset because I don't have a Porsche? Thanks Dr. Freud...

I could have bought one if I wanted to, but as I said did not see the extra value for ME at the time I got the Z4M. Don't get me wrong, the Z4 is a great car and I plan to keep it a long time. I just don't spend time trying to convince myself it is equal to/superior to the Boxster. Obviously everyone buys whatever car they decide at the time based on numerous factors. With me, I went from a Boxster to an S2000 as the lease rates were phenomonal in 2006. I went with a used Z4M as the price : performance was unmatched in comparison to my other choices.
Appreciate 0