View Single Post
      10-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
willysp
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 '09 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
I don't care what BMW says, they're fixing it.

The issue is that my total miles are being overstated by 8%. When I sell the car in a few years it will show 8% more miles on the odometer than it should have.

I plan to ask BMW if they are going to either fix the speedometer or re-emburse me for the difference in the sales price of the car, based in the fact it will have more miles on it than it should when I sell it.
It doesn't affect the odometer - the odometer will be accurate. Also, the computer display will display the current speed correctly when you reset it, and will display average mph correctly. It's just the speedometer gauge on the dash that's (intentionally) wrong.

For BMW, speedo gauge variance of up to 10% + 2.4 mph is per design. Therefore, they won't fix something that isn't broken - if they try to adjust your speedometer, they run a risk of liability.

I don't like it either, and gnashed my teeth with my Z3. On several Z3 forums, there were reported discussions with a 3rd party company about adjusting it - but the liability issue killed it.

From a 1996 Service Bulletin:

SI1996-620296 SUBJECT:
Maximum Permissible Speedometer Error

MODELS:
All

General Information:
A certain amount of "speedometer advance" is necessary to compensate for negative tolerances in tire diameter, electronic controls, and other factors. This advance reduces the risk of the speedometer displaying a speed that is less than the vehicle's actual speed.

The amount of speedometer advance can be calculated by inputting a frequency (using the DIS Tester, "Kombi Test Schedule") that corresponds to a given speed and noting the speed that is indicated by the speedometer. The maximum permitted speedometer advance is 10% of the actual (input) speed plus 2.4 mph.

Example:

Actual Speed = 50 mph

50 mph x 10% = 5 mph; 5 mph + 2.4 mph = 7.4 mph

Therefore, the permissible displayed speed is 50 to 57.4 mph.

(Note: The displayed speed must never be less than the actual speed).

No repairs should be attempted if the speedometer advance is within 10% + 2.4 mph.

NOTE: The amount of speedometer advance has no effect on recording of accumulated mileage in the odometer display. The odometer records total mileage digitally and does not incorporate any "advance" tolerances.

Warranty Status:
Information Only.

Last edited by willysp; 10-07-2009 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0