View Single Post
      04-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #131
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

The net cost difference between a fully loaded 35i w/ M Sport and DCT and a 35is is around $5,000. Not too bad when you consider the whole package, including the 67 ft lb of tq with overboost, and the suspension/dct/steering software tweaks.

I like the 35i M Sport Style 325M wheels a lot better than the 35is stock Style 295 wheels, so if I went with the 35is I'd have to spend another $1,200 for the Style 326M wheels so that pushes the 35is price a little higher.

On the other hand, the 35i w/ MT + Dinan Stage 1 tune bucks up the tq to +76 over the stock 300 and is considerably less than the 35is, even considering $1,699 for Dinan. Of course that won't get you BMW's suspension/dct/steering software tweaks. But, I think a person can get fairly close with minor suspension tweaks such as better torsional control.

Have not driven the 35is, but I'm with Alext on the MT issue. That would tend to make me go for the 35i + MT + M Sport Package (even though I don't like the Shadow Carbon trim) and a Dinan Stage 2. The money's about the same when you throw in a few suspension tweaks and better brakes when they come out with a full set f/r, but you get 116 ft lbs tq over stock (vs 67 on the 35is).

It will be a tough choice. I think the thing that's a little irritating is BMW is doing this as an interim step before they come out with the full ///M version (not just partially badged ///M). So, even though a lot of people will love the 35is, you get the feeling they are milking the consumers because as soon as the new ///M coupe/hardtop comes out, some will go crazy over it and need to dump the 35is to get the ///M.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 04-30-2010 at 10:22 PM..
Appreciate 0