View Single Post
      04-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Helix N54 Intake

So as I'm starting to tinker with the Z4, I'm trying to get a handle on my engine mods. Thus, far I've settled on the big three:
  • ER FMIC (ordered)
  • Cobb AP
  • AR downpipes (probably HFC)

Regarding intakes, I know it sounds silly, but I don't care for the look of the DCI setups. To me, they make the engine bay look haphazard and slapped together.

That said, I appreciate that for a tuned car, a good intake can improve throttle response and add some power. From everything I've read, the Mr. 5 intake is the ideal solution, since it augments the factory air box with yet another source of cold air.

Our bumpers have an unused vent on the lower portion of the driver's side of the bumper, but in looking at the engine bay, there is simply no way to route an air hose from that grill to the air box.

In searching for the "next best thing," I came across the Helix N54 intake.

As you can see, it seems to be a good middle ground between the DCI and the factory airbox. You keep the cold air and clean appearance of the factory box, but with some of the additional airflow and sound of a DCI setup. And the price is right, too, at $150. True, the air to that additional filter not as cold as the Mr. 5 intake, but with a massive FMIC, I'm not sure it will make a significant difference.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there to see if any one had any experience running this on your Z4 (or any other N54). I would love to hear some feedback from someone who's used it.
Appreciate 0