View Single Post
      08-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #142
mrcysco
Rep
Drives: 2007 Saphire Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by duoporta View Post
Z4 LCI did not bring the Z4 M35i - is it still on the way?
Z4 35is is as fast/performance oriented you're going to get from BMW this generation. Most believe this is due to one or more of the following:

The chassis is just not capable of delivering the handling characteristics that would be expected out of a M car. Releasing a M Z4 that didn't live up to the badge would damage the brand.

A E89 M car would be faster than the M3. the 35is is already by many accounts faster to 60 than the M3. What would it do to the perception of the M3 if a MZ4 smoked it in a straight line?

Lack of sales potential. BMW sells fewer than 20k (15k in 2012) Z4 cars every year. Of those, I've read fewer than 10% are 35is models. That means the potential for an M Z4 is likely around 1.5K cars a year or less. Compare that with the 5K+ M3 cars sold every year and you can see why a business case may be difficult to make.

My bet is we'll start hearing about a "next gen" MZ4 in couple years. It will be built on a new roadster chassis that is more "sporty" and will magically be not quite as quick as the new M3/M4.
Appreciate 0