09-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post

Most engine designers look at BMEP of an engine to compare it's ability to output power. Outside of purpose built race engines. I know of no N/A engines capable of putting up the same sort of BMEP as a turbocharged engine.
That's because the emission and fuel regulations, like you mentioned, don't allow them to make such an engine, so they don't put the time into even trying. Like you mentioned, in order for an N/A engine to match that of a turbo, it would have to be very high revving, therefore reduced MPG.

I think you may have mistaken my point, though. I agree, it's all a compromise. What I was saying is that true, current turbo engines have better fuel economy and more power than previous generation NA engines. However, if the same amount of money was put into designing a NA V8, it would have even more power, albeit less MPG. But point is, the NA larger displacement engine would always win in terms of power, which is what most people who say "no replacement for displacement" are really concerned about.
Appreciate 0