View Single Post
      09-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #31
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
I think the point here is that a superiorly designed V8 will have better output than a similarly designed I6. That is to say, not that from generation to generation the output hasn't gone up despite engine size reducing, but I think the "no replacement for displacement" is talking more about if the same amount of time, money, and technology were to be put into a N/A V8, it would overpower a Turbo I6/V6.

With that said, not much we can do and like you said, at least numbers are going up.
It's not about "superior" design. All engine design is about a give and take. If you get somethinng you're probably giving something up.

You could obviously make a 3.0L N/A engine make the same hp as this new M3/M4 engine. You'd have to spin it fast and would likely not be making the same sort of torque numbers. Again you'd probably be struggling with fuel economy and emmissions as well.

Most engine designers look at BMEP of an engine to compare it's ability to output power. Outside of purpose built race engines. I know of no N/A engines capable of putting up the same sort of BMEP as a turbocharged engine.
Appreciate 0