10-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #52
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3EST View Post
Since i own a tuning company my car had its power upgrade from the 1st day of delivery.The M suspension was not in my order because i wanted to make my own setup.Plus when you remove an M electric suspension you get trouble with fault messages and what is the reason to pay extra for something that you will remove.
When i got the car in Munich i drove it fast it in the autobahn.During hard acceleration the front was going up and during braking falling down.My first impression was like being in a boat.The rear by the way was fine.
When i drove the car in Greece (where the roads are not so good as in Germany)in fast cornering i had a feeling of loosing the car.This make me start the suspension mods.
With the M springs and a set of harder front dampers the car is moving in the same bad roads with much higher speeds.The moving of the front dissapeared and the fast cornering is now a new enjoy for me with a feeling of a safe driving roadster.
By the way in the high speed cornering i try on the way back home ,i reached speeds that was only possible with my DCT 08 E92 M3 with the M suspension in the sport mode.
That is the big proof of success in the handling of my Z4.
That's excellent info, thanks. I appreciate your approach.

I'm debating on a number of things about my Z4 purchase, and I have to say the people here at Zpost have been very helpful in that regard.

1st - Even though I’m terribly geeky and a nerd when it comes high tek stuff, and I love the idea of tt w/ DCT, I may not get it. The whole HPFP issue really bothers me. Even though it may not affect a huge number of owners, the fact that BMW extended the HPFP warranty for some owners is an indication of a real problem. I’ve recently heard that BMW has a new HPFP design that may fix things, so I’m waiting for additional info on that issue. However, I'm thinking of going with the 30i w/ MT. I'm sort of a traditionalist, and even though a tune with TT is an easy route to more ponies, I may have to earn my extra horses the old fashion way with a normally aspirated engine. The big advantage is zero lag, but I wish it had the M throttle assemblies as I can only imagine the beautiful response of those 6 butterflies flying open (where’s a real M when you need it?).

2nd - Like you, I may not go with the M Sport suspension and look at doing a few mild suspension tunes myself that likely will be sufficient for my needs. I hadn’t really planned on changing the springs, but based on your info, a slightly higher spring rate may be in order. What are the specs your springs? I’d also like to know the PN and specs for the dampers and stabilizer bars you’re looking at.

With these two considerations, the car may not be quite as powerful, but likely be a better driver’s car and just what I need for a daily driver. The 30i engine weighs a couple hundred less than the n54. I've been reading that BMW is very conservative in their published engine ratings, so getting to 300 hp or above wouldn't be much of a problem. I'll miss the tt tq, but, like they say, the quickest way to improve your power to weight ratio is to shave off a few pounds.

Please, any and all information on your exact mods is very helpful. Thanks
Appreciate 0