05-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #62
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
To be honest, I don't think that keeping adding turbos is the way to the future.

I think Audi's new engine with turbos and an electrical supercharger is a way better solution, will full torque from 1000 RPM:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/03/03/a...-tdi-official/
I think hybridization is a better solution than electric supercharging. The SQ7 already requires a separate high voltage system, battery, motor and generator for the supercharger (much like components required for a hybrid).

Putting an electric drive motor in the driveline or at the wheels would provide instant torque to the wheels from 0rpm/0mph. An electric supercharger still has to build up boost (no matter how quickly it does it, it's not instant), and the engine has to utilize that boost to make power before it's sent to the wheels.

In terms of complexity though, hybrid is probably more difficult to tune and get working smoothly and seamlessly. The electric supercharger you just need to regulate the total boost pressure of the entire system.
Appreciate 1