View Single Post
      10-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Question Shopping for CPO E89 and need advice!

So the wife and I are looking to replace her aging NC Mazda Miata with a CPO E89 and are just beginning our search. I have been researching the various years and trim levels to death, but would like to get some input from forum members before we go out test driving this weekend.

Specifically, are there certain years, drivetrains, equipment options to avoid? Conversely, are there specific models and options that are "must-haves", bearing in mind that this will be a DD for a 62 year old woman (so the over-boosted six in the 35is is a non-starter!).

What can I expect in negotiating for a CPO car from a dealer? I've bargained plenty for new cars over the years and pretty much know all the tricks, but I've never done a CPO deal before. It seems to me that the CPO concept is a way for the dealer to add value and profit $$ to the transaction and my job is to thread the needle between those two propositions. Example: my wife has identified a car at a local dealership that is listed for $40k. When I run it through KBB (which seems to be the best source of pricing information on CPO models) it appears that the actual market value of the car is maybe 10% lower than that. Has this been the experience of others here who have gone the CPO route. Any and all advice on these matters would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0