View Single Post
      04-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
williakz
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lexus LS460

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

I think it was still 2012 in production when I got the E89. Got it for a few hundred below truecar.com assessment of dealer cost.
Yup, my pricing guide shows production of MY2013 commencing July of 2012. Good timing!

Quote:
I had better luck with large / super high volume dealers ...

...once you start emailing detailed specs you will find out really fast who will deal and who won't.

The places you want on your short list will work up a full quote on the phone in 15 minutes without any hassle.
This is just what I'm trying to do. I got three full quotes at around 5% discount from MSRP within two hours today.

On a side note, I used to think the Consumer Reports model (cost plus) was the way to go. Nope. As long as MSRP is held constant, discounts can be directly compared dealer to dealer and it doesn't raise dealer hackles like the "i" word does. You also don't have to get into the war over doc fees (just crank a bit more on the discount). Eventually, after enough trimming they'll begin to scream about cost and invoice all by themselves. I'll just smile pleasantly and go back to talking discounts.

Re volume dealers, since I don't know the dealership characteristics nationwide (PCD cracks dealer network wide open), I'm using dealer volume (email) to my advantage. By hitting up a fair number of dealers, I have no need to address different dealer tactics and/or business models. I should mention that I am totally upfront with all of them. I let them know they are in competition with other dealers (no names mentioned) and that price and price alone will get them the business. I leverage my bargaining power with buying programs from USAA, PenFed, and Costco. Then, let the fur fly...
Appreciate 0