Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
I am happy with the 300 and then 10% happier, because it has already been proven as a fact that BMW underestimated the HP on the 35i. Same for the 35is. The 35i has consistently dynoed at 332 HP+/-. It feels like it has more than 300 HP, and low and behold...it does!!!! ....an extra 32 to be exact, and I am very happy with all 32 of them.

It is a fact that manufacturers from time to time will over or underestimate HP. Basically they can and will twist the truth in whatever direction ultimately benefits them. The Nissan GT-R is another example of underestimating HP. The 2011 GT-R was rated at only 485 HP. What a joke.
I loved to drive the Z4 the power was amazing when ever I hit the throttle I knew there was more then one needed in way of HP under the hood.

As to your comment about more or less HP estimate, there is no such thing. The horsepower of any new model is carefully checked once they develop the engine. If your car develops more then specified it simply means you have a very good engine under the hood. The difference you see is what is referred to as "accumulative tolerances" there are many fine machined parts in your engine and if the running clearances on your car are a bit tighter then the result will be a better performance output. You see no two engines are the same no mechanical part machined is ever exactly the same and if it is just a slight difference of a dimension such as say 0.0002"

So sorry I cannot agree when you say "It is a fact that manufacturers from time to time will over or underestimate HP. Basically they can and will twist the truth in whatever direction ultimately benefits them"

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0