View Single Post
      05-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #53
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex197444 View Post
Since the tweeter comes with the prewired filter, i guess it wont damage anything, or not? (just to know a second opinion)
Hi Alex,

just me again, glad to help I'll try to explain:

Of course the filter primarily protects the tweeter from powerful and thus dangerous low frequencies: Power consumption is not spread evenly throughout the audible spectrum. Low bass attacks take much more energy to move the "huge" woofers to make your stomach vibrate (OK, not with E89's standard hifi) whereas high frequencies require much less energy to make your ears scream. So tweeters can be built much smaller and the coil's wire can have a much smaller diameter, provided that the powerful low frequencies are cut off with a filter.

Generally speaking, if you power a bass (or broadband) woofer with a 50W normal music program, your tweeter will only get approximately a true 5W high frequency power as long as you cut off the low frequencies with a 6 dB Filter (capacitor) at 4500 Hz.

In turn, the impedance in the most dangerous high power low frequency range won't change significantly. The tweeter will be only set in "parallel circuit" where the capacitor (no additional coils in the filter circuit!) lets through the low power high frequencies.

Even if the overall impedance of the speaker system should become too low, I am pretty sure that this will not do any harm to your radio. Before that happens, overheat and overcurrent protection (included in practically all solid state amplifers in modern radios) would engage and shut off the speakers. I have heard in a German forum that such protection has already worked perfectly in a E89 standard hifi system with a damaged (coil short circuit) woofer that could be replaced without leaving any harm to the radio.

Perhaps here's someone else to confirm my conclusions, just to be safe!

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0