04-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #17
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T89 View Post
I guess it's a no then, since I'm running a staggered set up.

But the e92 m3 runs a staggered set up but still runs 245/35/19 and 265/35/19...?

T
Sorry, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't run the same profile ratio for different width tires. I'm sure it's done all the time. As mentioned before the profile is a ratio, or multiplier, based on the tire width. This is say that the sidewall height is taller for 265 width tire vs a 245. Given in our discussion the wheel diameter the same, then the overall diameter of the tire increases. Not necessarily a bad thing, but as mentioned the trend today is to use tires with equal height front and back. Some super performance cars today have different diameter wheels to compensate.

Look at the 1st chart below that I screen captured from tirerack.com. This is for staggered wheel/tires that have the same diameter, which is the OEM configuration. The consideration in the days of old when using different height tires is the speedometer needed adjustment. However, I'm sure that today there is a different compensation mechanism (likely software or automatic calibration).

Frankly, it's been a long time since I read all those books on setting up your suspension for optimum performance so I don't recall the impact of having a taller tire in the back except to say it likely would shift your weight distribution and alter braking slightly. Wider tires in the rear of the car does give you a bit more grip back there, but people will tell you that also contributes to additional understeer, which is a condition the Z4 is subject too.

Hope that helps. FWIW

Attached Images

Last edited by teagueAMX; 04-28-2010 at 07:48 PM..
Appreciate 0