View Single Post
      03-29-2024, 07:30 AM   #60
Renfield
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW E89 black on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiZ4 View Post
These 2+1 rivets on the aluminium rod serve as a stop when the cover is pulled forward (and of course are responsible for the destroyed OEM's). Don't cut them off!

The two-sided cut-out is marked in red in the following picture. Similiar, but much smaller, on my 2nd bracket.
Attachment 3421225

As stated before, Rob's design (@mopedmaster) covers all aspect's of the functionality as well as stability.

The latter is not given in your current design!

Yes, my aluminum nipple on the bar is history. Flat blade screwdriver took it clean off.

No doubt Rob's design replicates the original very well, and I'm sure it is worth what he's charging. But clearly the originals are failure prone. So it's a near perfect copy of a fail.

I didn't disassemble the working side for my copy, and the PO tossed the broken OEM bits. So I was designing blind and my old eyes missed that nipple on the underside.

All I needed was something better than 3 zip ties. Pretty sure that aluminum nipple did nothing but snap those, just as it kills the OEM brackets.

When the left side fails, I may consider modifying my simple, free clamp design. But this 2 bolt solution without the nipple is exceeding my expectations.

Just like this amazing car does every time I press START.

George

p.s. I've got a lighter socket plug design too. Enjoy!

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:6463181

Last edited by Renfield; 03-29-2024 at 07:49 AM..
Appreciate 0