View Single Post
      12-09-2023, 06:58 AM   #5214
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post

Here's a quote from Cummins' DER web page. It should give you comfort...

"Demand response resources are electric loads which can be shaped, reduced or disconnected on demand. In some regions, for example, homeowners have the option to participate in demand-response programs. The utility or the program manager installs remotely controlled disconnect switches on the air conditioning (AC) unit or electric water heater of participating homeowners, for example. Each individual AC unit or water heater can thus be switched off as needed to reduce the load on the electric grid. Larger virtual DERs aggregate several hundred or thousand homes. The result is a resource comparable in size and function to a small power plant."
I actually signed up for this type of program for my vacation home. Mine is a very specific use case and it has more or less worked out for me. The hook is a discount on the per KW charge. The times I've been out there under the program where the power company has shut off the power has been zero so far and that's with owning the home since 2012. And the grid out there seems to be pretty stable from the lack of complaints from my neighbors.

Just wanted to bring up my situation as where it has worked to my benefit but again it's very specific for my situation. My primary home, no way, I'm opting in on this type of program.
Appreciate 2
Efthreeoh17481.50