View Single Post
      08-17-2023, 04:49 PM   #23
JiveTalker
Jive Talker Bristol
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 3.0 orion silver

Question Help with Mr12Volt P2000 MMI box with integrated OEM microphone support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hejnfelt View Post
Thanks Dave, I already managed to finish the installation, also thanks to your great tutorial. A few things are already different. The mic splitter you made yourself is now included standard.
I also bought the new box with the OEM microphone. This is the first mod I've attempted on my car, so I got a rocket scientist friend to help me install it!

Things got off to a bad start in that it took over an hour to get the front panel off the head unit! The gear knob then refused to come off but I was able to remove the other trim with it still in place. With so much time lost, it got too dark to finish the job today.

I found Dave's video very helpful though there are some differences with the new box. One of the connectors on the back has changed it seems that the microphone cable now connects to the main harness and the other end needs to be wired through to somewhere in the steering column?

There are a couple of other things I'm unclear about:

1. I'm never going to own an iPhone, I will only ever use Android. What will this new link to the existing inbuilt microphone allow me to do? I don't want to dismantle the steering column if there is no benefit for Android users.

2. My car doesn't have a CD changer and I haven't yet coded it. When I finish connecting everything up, will everything work just the same as before until I code it or will things not work at all? This is quite important to know. None of the instructions advise what will happen if you wire up before coding?

3. I was expecting a 3 pin connector for the iDrive but my car has a 4 pin connector. Perhaps that is something else, maybe the electric handbrake? I think I'm a bit out of my depth here!
Appreciate 0