View Single Post
      07-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Minidisc... killed off by the ability to record CD's/DVD's which is almost gone as it it's being taken over by lossless MP3/WMA/AAC (high resolution etc).
Actually, it was a bit more complex than that. Philips put out a competing format at the same time as Sony's Minidisc called digital compact cassette. Many in the audio press wished Sony and Philips buried their grudges and combined the two formats. Everyone agreed the Minidisc was a great medium, but they hated the lossy/compressed format Sony used for Minidisc. However, Philips had the better audio compression but used the archaic magnetic format in the hopes that this provided a logical path for cassette tape users.

If Sony and Philips had collaborated as they did when they created the compact disc, this combined medium would have been pretty successful.

I'll bring up other formats which got killed such as SACD and DVD-A. Another situation where Sony had to do their own thing and diluted the effort to build a high definition audio market.

And the RIAA killed DAT with their lobbying of Congress to impose an automatic royalty on each blank DAT tape sold due to the possibility of it being involved in piracy along with the idiotic SCMS copy protection system forced upon all DAT recorders.
Appreciate 0