View Single Post
      05-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #8
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i

So I ordered the Michelin's. The older model still available but at the exact same price, so I obviously went with the new 4S model.

Went on Friday to have them installed. I asked the mechanic to check for bubbles on my old tires as since they were not worn out I figured I would keep them.

Well sure enough he comes after me in the front to tell me that the tires are bubble free, but that they found 2 stress cracks on the inner wheel lip of my right rear wheel...

Dang.

They suggested that I bring it to a local company that can weld this type of crack, and set me up for an appointment this Wednesday... same day service!

Left the tire dealer on my old tires. Called the foreman of my BMW dealer and told him about it. He had me call the service manager. He asked if there was any sign of impact and I said no... then advised me to come in Monday (today) to have a look at it.

They pulled it off and inspected it and it looked clean. Then they did a test on a balancing machine to see if the wheel was perfectly round and it passed all tests with flying colors. They took photos of the wheel and inspection readings and sent them off to the big cheese at BMW warranty approval, and I am now in a waiting period hoping that it is a warranty issue.

The new car warranty expires at the end of this June, so perfect timing. It is the first time that the wheels have been off of this car (15k km's only) so who knows how long those cracks have been there for. My tire pressure sensors have never gone off.

I am leary of doing the weld. I just can't imagine taking a road trip with a compromised wheel. The thought of replacing the wheel at my expense is equally upsetting.

I will wait them out, I guess. The new tires will have to wait a bit.

While I was at the dealer I checked out the new Z4. Very nice, and every bit different from the current one. No more old world BMW charm (my '15 has no GPS or idrive!). I found the trunk very small.\

I would probably consider one, but I would have to drive it first. I really really like the hard top format... had softtops on Porsches in the past the didn't thrill me.

And, most of you probably already knew this, but the one on the showromm floor had Michelin Super Pilot NON RUN FLATS on it. Apparently it comes with some type of foam repair kit.

That makes me feel better about giving up the run flats.
Appreciate 0