View Single Post
      11-06-2018, 11:31 AM   #1
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Would this help BMW's US sales?

Compared to the forums of 15-20 years ago, the language on this forum is quite negative and dismissive. When the E46 was new, there were several who moaned about the lack of feel compared to the 325i and M3, as there is every generation, but there’s a tang in the air compared to then. People complain about small idiosyncrasies of their cars; but then they gloatingly dump them and then hang around on the forum to recycle their decision daily. They despise the fact that BMW also builds cars they don’t like; they dislike the lack of dynamic competitiveness on the track; they focus on negative aspects of ride and handling (something that is supposed to be BMW’s forte) and as for the dealer network…!

So it got me thinking. Consider the typical North American buyer. He or she wants to buy a fast sedan or 2-door. They have choices of:

Tesla – in top spec, faster in a straight line than any BMW and a good charging infrastructure in big cities. Who cares about the interior quality? It only has to last three years.
Camaro and Mustang – hardcore, track-focused cars with weapons-grade chassis that are great around bends and – crucially – are also easy to live with.
VW/RS3/STi for no-drama, point-and-squirt and cheaper hop-up parts.
Various Japanese-American sedans with MT, for those who want the MT experience.
For drag/auto-x/drifting, a number of better-suited Japanese-origin coupes.
And of course a ton of good competition in SUVs.

Historically BMW’s signature car is the 3 – with the 5 close behind. Both are plummeting in sales in America. BMW offers only two electric vehicles and both are rather odd (and very expensive); its hybrids are mild and not that useful, with short electric ranges. So here is a serious, genuine question: BMW tries to build cars for the world and does so successfully, but these aren’t compatible with the US and Canada, with its resurgent domestic auto industry. Needs and tastes are diverging fast. Is it time to carve out a US-only offshoot?
Appreciate 0