11-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D.335xi View Post
I previously had a E92 335 with an N54 engine that exhibited the same behaviour and I have the same issue with my Z4 (which also has an N54). Based on numerous posts on the 3 series forum, it appears to be largely attributable to the N54 - the engine gives of a significant amount of heat that is not effectively dissipated, affecting the temperature of the air flowing through the vents when the AC is off. In the 335 this also manifests itself in reports of the sides of the transmission tunnel in the footwells also being hot to the touch. If you search the 3 series forum you will find a number of posts from E90 and E92 owners with the N54 engine citing these issues.

In my experience, although it is an issue in the Z4, with its less densely packed engine bay (which seems to allow for better heat dissipation), it is comparatively less of an issue than it was in my E92.
I totally agree. With N54 Z4s the air is unintentionally heated by the engine, not the climate control. So Z4 owners have two options

1) Turn on the A/C.
2) Put the roof down.

You fail if you select option number one.
Appreciate 0