View Single Post
      10-17-2014, 01:30 PM   #5
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
If you get a 2012 or later car, the issue with the high pressure fuel pump is over. If it's pre-2012, you can find out from the service history if the pump was changed. Also, BMW extended the warranty on this part to 10 years, 120K miles for 2009-2011 I believe. Also, be wary of 19" style 296 wheels. The older ones are crack-prone. They were redesigned to address this problem. Otherwise, they are well-made cars IMO, regardless of the complaints you may read here. Problems tend to get magnified on the forums.
Thanks again for your input. The same thing happens on Miata forums, which elsewhere in the universe, are known to be virtually bulletproof! BTW: Back in the 70s I worked for an independent auto parts importer and my two programs were BMW and Mercedes. One of the more noticeable differences between these two back then was that BMW kept putting the same poorly designed parts in their cars year after year, model after model (ie: water pumps, window regulators, mufflers, even engine components like cylinder heads!). Mercedes, on the other hand, was really on top of component failures and, once discovered, they would redesign the part and "campaign" earlier cars that had been delivered with the failure-prone components. It would appear that BMW is doing a better job in that are these days. The only one I ever owned was a 2005 (heavily-smogged) 2002 which was an absolute DOG!

Last edited by paris1; 10-17-2014 at 01:39 PM..
Appreciate 0