Thread: 35is DCT
View Single Post
      01-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
Asbjorn
Captain

Drives: ESS twin-turbo roadster (E89)

Quote:
Originally Posted by is300wrx View Post
That's really too bad. So if you have the pedal floored, regardless of whether you're in S mode, it'll act like its in D mode by up shifting at red line.

Wish the 35is gave you the option for the 6 speed manual.
M mode and S mode is not the same! And D mode will never go to the red-line at all.

With S mode, combined with sport+ and ESS stg 2, I two times experienced mine upshifting two gears instead of just one (due to excess wheelspin during shifting)! Even with the pedal floored, S mode shifts gears at lower RPMs (for instance 6.5K instead of 7K) where there is more torque available.

I believe M mode is the only mode which will take you to red-line. And then it up-shifts automatically...
Little known facts about BMW: 1) The N54 is still in production and used in the current Z4 35i and 35is. 2) In a Z4 you can get sport+ steering combined with normal suspension etc by selecting DSC=off. (Update: DSC=off also offers sports steering in the M135i) 3) All Z4s with 19" wheels are still only offered with the worst performing OEM tires ever sold with a DCT equipped BMW (Potenza RE 050 RFT).
Asbjorn is offline   China