View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Private First Class

Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Originally Posted by Pacemaker1000 View Post
Anybody fitted one of these?
Yes, I have a "BMW Navigation Portable Plus" (2nd generation, 2010 = Garmin 765) in my E89, but I had my dealership mount the device.

you cannot just buy and install the bracket and buy your own Navi as it has to have the BMW software
That's right - the "regular" Garmins will never have output on your car's speakers. Even with the correct "BMW Navigation pro/plus/HD traffic" devices, the car must be coded by your dealership so that speaker output is possible.

Don't suppose it shows the parking display same as factory?

BTW: If you are interested in retrofit navigation, you might want to have a deeper look into the new 4th gen. "BMW Navigation Portable HD Traffic" (see here - sorry, German only) - this device is based on the 5-inch "Tomtom Go Live" (probably model 1015?) instead of Garmin and has its own realtime traffic information OTA. I am also looking for an upgrade at the moment (but I am a bit hesitating as I have no information on handsfree set quality - the handsfree set of the 2nd gen Garmin portable plus has been much better than all other successors due to a 2-microphone array).

Best regards