Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
The Castrol Edge 5W-40 is what BMW recommends for hotter Countries Rolf... We know that we should follow what the manufacturer recommends under warranty... It's common logic.

Anyways, back on topic:
Jp I thought that "Edge" was Castrol's full synthetic line but maybe what you heard is correct. I'll be going to Stuttgart next month with a buddy to pick up his SL63 so i'll check and see if they rebranded Castrol in Germany.
Constant, I am sure that BMW in "Hotter Countries / or other parts of the World" will adjust to the local expected ambient temperatures (the factory issued TIL's [Technical Information Letters]for that). So I am not talking about that at all. All I am saying from a warranty point of view is to follow the manufacturers recommendation. I am also aware that the majority of folks here are well aware of this fact ... it's only if someone needs to ask then one tries to point that individual in the right direction with tact. I don't think I typed anything to belittle anyone ... or did I?

If I wanted to use a lighter or different viscosity oil in my high performance car that is not on the BMW recommended list for my car within the warranty period then I would ask my SA to ensure my warranty would not be jeopardized.

After all the people at BMW Service Shops I think are closer to the factory and what is and is not good for the cars engine. To ask the people that know and that are in close contact with the factory ,that to me is the logical step to take. The right oil use in any high performance engine is very important. I for one would not follow anyone else's recommendation on that issue.

Besides if as you say it's common logic why not ask the folks that know best? you know the ones that build the engines then tested the engine (on the bench and on the road under various conditions including very hot and sub zero temperatures) for thousands of hours on test cars?

Sure if one does not care about warranty then use anything you like, just don't expect the manufacturer to pick up the pieces when things go wrong. You can be sure a simple oil analysis will tell the manufacturer what oil was used when the engine failed.

Now you might ask why is Rolf going in such details on this issue. Well let me tell you. I once owned a Mercedes AMG in the 1980s and I did not like what the dealer charged me for the oil and service calls since I had my oil changed every 3,000 KM (more frequently then what was recommended). Naturally I followed the inspection and oil change intervals only in between I changed my own oil. So a very long discussion followed with the dealer and manufacturer before the oil I proposed at the time to be used was approved so that the warranty would not be jeopardized. I did get that in writing.

Bottom line ... one should not play around with ones engine unless unless one consults with the dealer (in the case of in between warranty recommended oil changes and oil to be used etc). Anyone not taking this vital step (checking with the manufacturer on type of oil to use), truly does not respect what effort, experience and engineering went into the design and manufacture of the engine.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0